Ivanka Trump deposed in donor fund lawsuit linked to father’s inauguration

Ivanka Trump deposed in donor fund lawsuit linked to father’s inauguration

By
Staff

The Associated Press

Posted December 2, 2020 11:59 pm

 
 

Updated December 3, 2020 2:11 am

Ivanka Trump, the daughter and senior adviser to U.S. President Donald Trump, listens to a question during an interview with the Associated Press, Friday, Nov. 8, 2019, in Rabat, Morocco. Trump is in Morocco promoting a global economic program for women. (AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin).

(AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin)


  • comments

    Leave a comment


  • whatsapp

    Share this item via WhatsApp


  • more

    Share this item


  • more

    Share this item

Smaller font
Descrease article font size
-A

Larger font
Increase article font size
A+



  • Share this item via WhatsApp

    whatsapp



  • Share this item on Pinterest

    pinterest



  • Share this item on LinkedIn

    linkedin



  • Share this item on Reddit

    reddit



  • Copy article link

    Copy link

Ivanka Trump has been deposed by attorneys alleging that U.S. President Donald Trump’s 2017 inauguration committee misused donor funds, a new court filing reveals.

The document, first reported by CNN Wednesday, notes that Ivanka Trump, the president’s oldest daughter and a senior White House adviser, was interviewed Tuesday by attorneys from the Washington, D.C., attorney general’s office.

The office has filed a lawsuit alleging waste of the non-profit’s funds, accusing the committee of making more than $1 million in improper payments to the president’s Washington, D.C., hotel during the week of the inauguration in 2017.

Read more:
Here’s why the Mueller report doesn’t spell the end of Donald Trump’s legal woes

As part of the suit, they have subpoenaed records from Ivanka Trump, first lady Melania Trump, Thomas Barrack Jr., a close friend of the president who chaired the inaugural committee, and others. Barrack was also deposed last month.

Story continues below advertisement

Trump’s inaugural committee spent more than $1 million to book a ballroom at the Trump International Hotel in the nation’s capital as part of a scheme to “grossly overpay” for party space and enrich the president’s own family in the process, the District of Columbia’s attorney general, Karl Racine, alleges.

Trending Stories

  • Ontario reports more than 1,800 new coronavirus cases, uptick due to data processing error

  • Quebec nixes Christmas gatherings as second coronavirus wave gains steam

He has accused the committee of misusing non-profit funds and co-ordinating with the hotel’s management and members of the Trump family to arrange the events.

1:26
Feds probing Trump inauguration spending: Wall Street Journal

Feds probing Trump inauguration spending: Wall Street Journal – Dec 13, 2018

“District law requires nonprofits to use their funds for their stated public purpose, not to benefit private individuals or companies,” Racine has said. “In this case, we are seeking to recover the non-profit funds that were improperly funneled directly to the Trump family business.”

The committee raised an unprecedented $107 million to host events celebrating Trump’s inauguration in January 2017, but its spending has drawn continued scrutiny.

Story continues below advertisement

In a statement, Alan Garten with the Trump Organization said that “Ms. Trump’s only involvement was connecting the parties and instructing the hotel to charge a `fair market rate,’ which the hotel did.”

© 2020 The Canadian Press

Leave a comment

Comments

TrumpLawsuitIvanka TrumpTrump lawsuitinauguration lawsuitivanka trump deposed

Leave a comment

Comments

More from Global News

  • Feds take 1st step towards enshrining UN Indigenous rights declaration into law

  • Husky Energy to get $41.5 million in federal cash for stalled N.L. offshore project

Advertisement

Tagged , , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *